Home Leader‚Äôs Sheet
The Home Leader is the contact point for the duration of the expedition for parents, Leaders and Authorities.¬† The HL for activities for the most part is the person that parents contact when their child is late in returning from an activity.¬† The Leader of the activity should advise the HL of any delays or problems in meeting the arranged return times.¬† With adventurous type activities the activity leader should contact the HL as soon as possible when the party is safely on their way home.¬† Eg¬† If the activity is canyoning, when safely back at the car or other means of transport.¬† The HL can then relay this information to waiting parents if required.
With adventurous type activities such as abseiling, caving, canyoning and expeditions the HL may be the person to raise the alarm when the party has not returned by the due time and must be able to liaise with whatever authorities are required.¬† ie; National Parks or Police, State Scout HQ , Section Leaders and parents.¬† A guideline for these circumstances is in Part 4 of the Activities Notification Form, titled ‚ÄúOverdue parties Procedures‚ÄĚ
The HL must be available to perform the above functions for the duration of the activity and the Activity Leader must provide the HL with sufficient information for a search party (worst case scenario) to locate them.¬† Most of this information should be in the copy of the Activity Notification Form.¬† For expeditions the HL should also have a map copy of the proposed hike with proposed night camps marked as well as escape routes.
A Home Leader check list for expeditions
- Copy of Activity Notification Advice
- Expedition 1 or, Expedition 2
- Participant‚Äôs Leaders are aware of this expedition:¬†¬† If not why not!
- Nominated Examiner:¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† and phone number:
- Section Leader:¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† and phone number:
Activity Leader‚Äôs name¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Mobile No. if possible
Name¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Address¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Phone No.¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Unit
- Copy of maps with proposed route marked
- Proposed night camps marked.
- Proposed escape routes marked.